PENTECOST SUNDAY, B




COURAGE TO FOLLOW YOU



Many people can relate with a recent noodle ad on tv. A boy emerges from a surgeon’s clinic, holding up his oversized shorts and walking carefully with legs spread far apart.  The boy has just undergone his summer circumcision ritual.  When the father approaches, the boy proudly says: dad it didn’t hurt! (“Hindi naman masakit e!”).  And then assures his father: I didn’t even cry! (“Hindi nga ako umiyak e.”) The father admires and acknowledges his boy is now a big boy!

Today as we celebrate Pentecost I cannot help but notice a different sense of courage overcome and fill the hearts of the disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ.  After the crucifixion came many anxious thoughts – Can we make it without him? Can we still continue like we did before? Is there a future after painful events of the passion and death of our beloved Master?

Seeing Jesus risen and now, receiving the greatest gift of the Risen One, the Holy Spirit, there is new energy, new life, new optimism, new courage in the hearts of all. Sure, the disciples will just begin to undergo their own many “circumcisions” in the world. But with the Holy Spirit, nothing wil be able to bring their spirits down: It didn’t hurt! I didn’t even cry.  – I can just imagine these words behind every persecution, martyrdom, slander, betrayal, abandonment, trial, and temptation, that the disciples experienced through the two millennia of our history.

Are you going through a difficult road today in your life – at home, at work, business, relationship, spiritual struggles?  Today open your self to the outpouting of immense grace from the Lord.  Receive the power from the Holy Spirit.  Invite the third Person of the Trinity to be your constant guide. Allow him to breathe into you the boldness to deal with and surpass the daily struggles of life. Daily, make it a habit to pray to the Holy Spirit:


PRAYER TO THE HOLY SPIRIT
Saint Augustine of Hippo

Breathe in me, O Holy Spirit, that my thoughts may all be holy.

Act in me, O Holy Spirit, that my work, too, may be holy.

Draw my heart, O Holy Spirit, that I love but what is holy.

Strengthen me, O Holy Spirit, to defend all that is holy.

Guard me, then, O Holy Spirit, that I always may be holy.

Amen.


Popular posts from this blog

HOLY MASS IN FILIPINO (TAGALOG)

GOMBURZA: BAKIT MAHALAGA?

ANG 12 BUNGA (MGA BUNGA) NG ESPIRITU SANTO